Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- Coronavirus: The environment’s big moment?
- Coronavirus: Are children able to adhere to social distancing?
- Coronavirus: Will children be able to social distance?
- Sexual health: Online STI testing rolled out in Wales
- Coronavirus: Early school summer holiday plan 'abandoned'
- Gareth Davies: WRU chairman says Pro14 investment boosts league viability
- Coronavirus: 'Concern' at English university student cap plan
- Cefnu ar y syniad o 'symud gwyliau'r haf' medd undeb
- Family in 'shock and grief' after Caldicot grandmother dies in fire
- Swansea City: George Byers set to return when season resumes