Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- British and Irish Lions: First Test win over South Africa 'ultimate game of two halves'
- Wales' tourist image 'could be harmed' by overloaded infrastructure
- Unesco World Heritage: Wales' slate landscape bid for honour
- The Hundred: Dynion Tân Cymreig yn ennill ond merched yn colli
- The Hundred: Welsh Fire hold on to beat Northern Superchargers in thriller
- Cars towed for 'dangerous' parking in Snowdonia
- Ovarian cancer: Terminally-ill woman fulfils truck ride dream
- British and Irish Lions: Lions fight back to clinch series opener
- De Affrica 17-22 Llewod
- Bute Park: Second attempted murder arrest after man injured