Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- Swansea: Woman, 18, dies and another hurt in car crash
- Caerdydd i dalu am ddifrod cefnogwyr yn Bristol City
- Cardiff City to pay for Ashton Gate damage caused by fans
- Taxi driver repairs 'dangerous' Denbighshire pavement
- Heineken Champions Cup: Sale enjoy seven-try 49-10 win over Ospreys
- Heineken Champions Cup: Stade Francais claim last-16 spot with 37-31 comeback win over Connacht
- Petition seeks control of Wales' Crown Estate land
- Covid: Wales could recruit non-jabbed English NHS staff
- Cymru 'ddim yn diystyru' denu staff heb eu brechu o Loegr
- Welsh ports had 30% less traffic due to Brexit - shipping chief