Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- Welsh local elections: Labour regain Flintshire council
- Costau byw: 'Pethau bychan hyd yn oed yn drafferth rŵan'
- Neges Heddwch yr Urdd: Amser deffro i'r argyfwng hinsawdd
- UK inflation hits 40-year high of 9% as energy bills soar
- Bowel cancer: Finger-prick blood test shows promise
- Elite League: Brodie Dupont named permanent Cardiff Devils head coach
- Rainbow 50p coin to mark 50 years of Pride movement in the UK
- Ukraine war: 'My previous life was stolen,' says refugee
- Peace message: Gareth Bale joins children of Wales for centenary year
- Gareth Bale joins children in sending peace message