Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- British and Irish Lions 2021: Meet the 10 Welsh players selected to tour South Africa
- Dolgellau crash taxi driver dies and two severely injured
- Welsh election 2021: Party leaders cast their votes
- Alun Wyn Jones i arwain y Llewod yn Ne Affrica
- Welsh election 2021: Polls open for voting
- Wales' alcohol deaths highest for 20 years
- Dean Keates: Wrexham boss thankful for well-wishes after online abuse
- Sub-postmaster's wife 'cried eyes out' over jailing
- 'Os yw diwylliant yn beth sych ar bapur nid oes gobaith iddo ffynnu'
- Team GB & ParalympicsGB unveil kit for delayed Tokyo Games