Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- Covid: Lockdown 'will hinder tortoises' hibernation'
- Covid travel restrictions 'may put tortoises in danger'
- Covid: UK governments 'took eye off ball' on pandemic
- Jayne Ludlow: Wales need to keep improving to qualify
- Cwpan y Gynghrair: Casnewydd 3-1 Watford
- Newport County 3-1 Watford
- Covid: Pubs in Wales to close at 22:00 from Thursday
- Jess Fishlock: Wales midfielder disappointed by no penalty award
- Drakeford i gyflwyno rhagor o fesurau i Gymru
- First minister: 'Wales cannot let the virus take hold of our lives again'