Draig Werdd – the Welsh Society in Ireland is an organisation based in the Republic of Ireland whose mission is to raise awareness of Wales and Welsh affairs across Ireland, and to provide a social network for Welsh people living in Ireland.
The organisation consists of individuals from differing national and cultural backgrounds who share the same concerns regarding the promotion of Welsh interests in Ireland, in response to the new era that exists in Welsh political, economic and cultural life following the establishment of the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff.
The gentle hand of understanding
across the water –
the story of our mission;
two hands over two sands
sharing a common kinship.
Two hands clutching quietly,
and two hands
keeping two lands in safety,
the two holding the same truth
on the same horizon, come what may.
Mererid Hopwood, St. David’s, August 2002 (transl.)
Latest news from BBC Wales:
- Pennal: Rhieni ar fws ysgol i osgoi awr o daith
- Rhyl Air Show organisers cancel this year's event
- Meddygon iau ar streic eto yn sgil 'pwysau mawr'
- M4 closed near Margam after 'serious collision'
- Perry Ng: Defender could start for Cardiff City against Stoke
- Wales junior doctor strike: Thousands begin three-day walkout
- Wales' 20mph limit: Average speed down 4mph after switch
- Jade Ward: Petition over killer parent rights up for award
- Wales to face world champions South Africa at Twickenham in June
- Conjoined twin sisters overjoyed with custom-made fashion